Our hearty lentil curry gets a hint of tanginess from balsamic vinegar. Although it’s substantial enough on its own, you can also add meat or fish.
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 3 cups 1-in. cubed butternut squash
- 1 small to medium eggplant
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp Indian curry paste
- 680-ml can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 540-ml can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or substitute with lentils if desired
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- CHOP cauliflower into small florets, chop squash into bite-sized pieces, and slice eggplant into finger-sized pieces. Coarsely chop onion. Lightly oil a large pot and set over medium heat. When hot, add onion and sauté until tender, 3 to 4 min. Stir curry paste into pot and cook until fragrant, 1 min. Add tomato sauce, water, vinegar, sugar and veggies. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- SIMMER, covered, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 min. Add lentils for the last 5 min of cooking. Sprinkle with cilantro. Delicious over rice and with a dollop of plain yogourt.