Soft & Moist Butter Cake. Butter cake is the first cake I learned when I started baking. I should say it’s the easiest cake to make but just need a lot of patience in the mixing of the batter. It is unlike moist chocolate cake or sponge cake which can’t be over mixed. Butter cake takes double or triple the time especially in the process of mixing the butter and sugar. We need to make it as light, soft and fluffy as possible so that the cake will not sink, as far as the butter weight is concerned. Overall it is still easy to make, just take a little longer than normal cakes. I hope you will give this a try 🙂
250g (1 cup) unsalted butter
200g (1 cup) castor sugar (you can add another 20-30g more if you like it sweeter)
230g (2 cups) cake flour or all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder (I apologize about the typo on the video, NOT baking soda)
50g (1/3 cup) milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
I am using a 7×7 inch square baking pan. You can also use a round baking pan or loaf pan.
1. Preheat over at 350°F / 160°C.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In the mixing bowl, add in the butter and sugar. Mix it on low speed for 2 minutes until the sugar disappear. Then increase to medium speed and mix for 15 minutes. One of the keys to this butter cake, these 2 ingredients must be mixed well. Continue mixing until the butter is white, light and fluffy. You will see that in about 15 minutes.
4. Add in the eggs, one by one. Mix until the yellow eggs disappear.
5. Add in the sifted dry ingredients spoon by spoon. This is another key to make good butter cake.
6. Add the milk and vanilla extract. Continue mixing for another 3-5 minutes.
7. Pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake at 350°F / 160°C for 55-60 minutes.
8. Test the cake using the cake test.
9. Cool the cake on the cooling rack for about 15 minutes. Once it is cooled, you may cut and serve the cake.
*Note: Feel free to use a hand mixer, if you don’t not have a large mixer.
Author: NICOLAI HEIDLAS
Title: Never Give Up
Follow me at: