Some advance preparation is required for these wings: The yogurt needs to drain for 2 hours and the wings need to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 pounds chicken wings (12 to 14)
- 1 cup coarse salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala (Indian spice mix) such as Frontier brand
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a sieve set over a bowl drain yogurt, covered and chilled, 2 hours. In a dry small heavy skillet toast cumin seeds over moderate heat, shaking skillet frequently, until a shade darker, 2 to 3 minutes. Cool cumin seeds and with a mortar and pestle or in an electric coffee/spice grinder coarsely grind. Finely grate carrots into a bowl and stir in yogurt, cumin, mint, and salt and pepper to taste. Sauce may be made 8 hours ahead and chilled.
- Cut off wing tips, reserving for another use, and halve wings at joint. In a bowl dissolve salt in water. Marinate wings in brine, covered and chilled, stirring occasionally, at least 2 hours and up to 24.
- Prepare grill.
- In a colander drain wings and rinse well. Pat wings dry and in a bowl rub garam masala and oil onto wings. Grill wings on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals until cooked through and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes on each side.
- Serve wings with sauce.