Dal Makhani is a super popular Indian restaurant and dhaba style recipe. Dal Makhani is readily available in almost every Indian dhaba. Dal makhani is must have dish for every Indian dinner. Full Recipe: http://bit.ly/2a9Nffm
1 1/2 cup whole black gram/ whole urad dal
½ cup Kidney beans/rajma
2 big size finely chopped onions
Paste of 2 medium sized tomatoes
1 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
Salt to taste
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
¾ tsp Garam masala
Freshly chopped coriander leaves
How to make dal makhani:
1. Clean, wash and soak both the rajma and urad dal for 3-4 hours or overnight. If you do not have much time of soaking the dal then you can put both the rajma and urad dal in hot water and leave it for an hour.
2. After soaking drain all the water and transfer it to a pressure cooker to boil.
3. Add salt, 4 cups of water (add water up to immersing level). Mix it well.
4. Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook dal over medium flame for 8-9 whistles. Turn off the flame.
5. Allow the steam to escape naturally before opening the lid. If they are not cooked thoroughly, then add water accordingly and pressure cook for few more whistles.
6. Mash the dal with laddle or the large spoon after cooking the dal in pressure cooker.
7. Let’s prepare our seasoning.
8. Heat butter/ ghee in a pan, once the butter melts add chopped onion and saute till the onion becomes translucent or light brown.
9. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute till the raw smell goes away.
10. Add ¾ tsp of red chilly powder and mix it well.
11. Add tomato paste (Grind tomatoes to make a paste) and sauté till it starts leaving the sides of pan and all the moisture gets evaporated and it becomes just like thick paste.
12. Add cumin powder and few chopped coriander leaves and saute it for a minute.
13. Add cooked dal and rajma with its water, mix it well.
14. Dal Makhani is usually had medium to a thick consistency so add more water as per requirement and bring it to the desired consistency.
15. Add garam masala, remaining red chilly powder and mix it well.
16. Add salt to taste (I have added salt while boiling the dal and rajma so add salt accordingly)
17. Cook dal on low flame for 6-7 minutes till you get the smooth and creamy texture. Keep on stirring in between so that it does not stick to the bottom of a pan. You can add more water if required.
18. Lastly add fresh cream, freshly chopped coriander leaves and stir for a minute.
19. Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves, fresh cream and serve.
20. Serve hot with Nan, Jeera rice.