A salt, sour and healthy Indian street food that’s easy to make and very more-ish. Channa chaat stores well in the fridge for a couple of days.
- * 1 kg salad potato
- * 1-2 red or sweet onion
- * 1 punnet cherry tomato, or 3-4 ripe, tasty tomato
- * 1 red chilli
- * cube of fresh ginger
- * 1-2 tbsp of your favourite indian style spice blend
- * 1 can chick pea
- * juice from 2 lemon
- * 1 handful fresh coriander
- * sea salt to taste
- Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Boil the potatoes until soft.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes or cube large tomatoes into cubes about the same size as the potato pieces.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and the chilli and put in a large bowl.
- Grate the ginger
- and prepare the spices and put in with the onion and chilli.
- When the potatoes are almost done, throw the chick peas into the water to warm through. (This step isn’t strictly speaking necessary. I like my channa chaat hot the first time I eat it and this helps it stay that way.)
- Drain the potatoes and chickpeas and mix in with the onion and spice mix.
- Pour over lemon juice and stir.
- Add coriander and sea salt when serving.